From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] [Gentoo install] Disk full at 35%?
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 01:43:35
1 Hi all,
2
3 It's been quite a few years but I decided to try another Gentoo
4 install (on a VirtualBox instance). I wanted to try out some new
5 things...
6
7 I created a ton of partitions including /usr (I want to see if I can
8 get that to work), /portage, and /distfiles. The idea was to mount
9 /portage on top of /usr and /distfiles on top of /portage. This all
10 works fine.
11
12 However, when I try to extract the Portage snapshot, I get "No space
13 left on device" a long way into the untar process. According to df
14 /portage (i.e. /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage) is only 35% full. In fact, not
15 a single partition or mount is even close to full (except for
16 /mnt/static, the DVD).
17
18 If I untar directly to /usr (after unmounting /portage), everything
19 works fine. If I then try to copy or move to /portage, I get the "No
20 space left on device" again. And at the same place.
21
22 Does anyone know what's going on here? I didn't realize I was doing
23 such strange things. At least not this early on. :-)
24
25 Cheers,
26 Hilco