From: Bob Young <RKY@×××××.Net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: Ati or Nvida
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 03:44:39
1 -----Original Message-----
2 From: Enrico Weigelt [mailto:weigelt@×××××.de]
3 Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:05 PM
4 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Ati or Nvida
8 >Hi,
11 >I've made the big mistake of bying an notebook w/ geforce go 6100.
12 >
13 >The proprietary drivers *never* worked for me - the binary kernel
14 >modules crashed the whole kernel (complete lockup) after a several
15 >seconds (doesnt even need X to come up for that).
18 Somehow you later statements make me distrust your opening one...
19
20 > I've analyzed their module a bit and seen really bad things.
21
22 Really...You've "analyzed" a closed source module. Care to share
23 the details of how you performed this "analysis" ?
24
25 >Looks it's a hand-written bunch of assembler code with massive
26 >code obfuscation,
29 Uhhhh...perfectly good C/C++ code that's been even moderately
30 Optimized by any reasonably sane compiler will look like that
31 when it's disassembled...now how was it you did this "analysis"
32 on a *closed source* module again...?
33
34 >IMHO, if someone spends so much work into machine code obfuscation,
35 >he *really* has something to hide.
38 It's closed source driver, neither you nor anybody else who hasn't
39 seen the source code has any basis whatsoever to justify such an
40 "opinion" without making themselves look like a total dimwit.
41
42 > Not just some "intellectual
43 > property" (which is outdated alfter a few months).
44
45 Uhhh...if the intellectual property is so "outdated", why is it so
46 difficult to duplicate? So far no one advocating open source, can
47 manage to duplicate even the functionality of the 3D driver, much
48 less the performance?
51 > Of course, opensource 3D support is (almost) not existing,
52 > (2D works very fine), and NVidia repeatedly states that they
53 > will NOT do the slightest attempt to improve the situation.
56 Why should they, their providing for Linux, the same thing they
57 provide for Windows, i.e. a binary driver that drives their GPU
58 and performs quite well in the experience of a lot of users. From
59 their point of view the situation doesn't need improving
60
61 >So I strongly suggest, NOT to buy NV cards.
64 You've never written graphics drivers have you?
65
66 >(BTW: a few month ago, I managed to stop a customer from buying
67 >several hundreds of NV cards - yes, consulting jobs sometimes
68 >make really fun this way ;-P)
69
70 Maybe that was the correct decision, maybe not, depends on the
71 circumstances. Regardless, your clients are not well served by your
72 uninformed bias.
75 Regards,
76 Bob Young
81 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list