From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 03:06:59
1 On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 10:20:47PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote
2
3 > However, I'm now trying to get X up and running. "The X Server
4 > Configuration HOWTO", section 3. "Configuring Xorg" says:
5 >
6 > "Hal comes with many premade device rules, also called policies.
7 > These policy files are available in /usr/....../policy. Just find a
8 > few that suit your needs most closely and copy them to /etc/...."
9 >
10 > "For example, to get a basic working keyboard/mouse combination, you
11 > could copy the following files...
12 > /usr/.........../10-input-policy.fdi
13 > /usr/.........../10-x11-input.fdi"
14 >
15 > . Am I the only person that finds this semantic gibberish? Is there
16 > any explanation somewhere of what a "policy" aka "device rule" is? What
17 > is the semantic significance of a "device rule"? What does it mean, to
18 > "rule a device", or what sort of restrictions are being placed on this
19 > device?
20
21 My solution to simplify Gentoo...
22
23 waltdnes@d531 ~ $ cat /etc/portage/package.mask
24 sys-libs/pam
25 sys-apps/dbus
26 sys-apps/hal
27
28 You'll have to do a manual depclean (very carefully) and
29 revdep-rebuild, but it's worth the effort to purify your Gentoo system.
32 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>