From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 23:23:46
1 On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 23:58:23 +0200, pk wrote:
2
3 > organisation and I happen to be on the side which thinks the FHS
4 > rationalisation for /bin, /sbin, /lib is a neat one. Others thinks the
5 > neatest solution is to put everything into one directory (whatever that
6 > may be) and that's fine too, if there was a choice...
7
8 I'm in favour of /bin and /lib, and I see the pros and cons of /sbin and
9 am not too bothered about how that is done. But having two (or more) of
10 each of these is an artificial mess that is a solution to a problem that
11 ceased to exist decades ago.
12
13 > As for what Neil Bothwick said:
14 > >According to Greg K-H, who I tend to trust, this did not come from Red
15 > >Hat. It's just that a couple of the devs are employed by them. Others
16 > >are not.
17 >
18 > Redhat are in control (maintaining or main contributor) of a whole lot
19 > of core software:
20 > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Red_Hat_contributions#Upstream_Focus
21
22 > So maybe it's in their (Redhats) best interest to only support their way
23 > of doing things? Or it may be that the devs themselves are so "tight"
24 > that they are working in this direction on their own accord. Or maybe
25 > it's all coincidental...
26
27 Red Hat employ devs working on many aspects of Linux, and we should be
28 grateful for this (or do you prefer the Ubuntu approach of taking with
29 little giving back?). One of the reasons Greg K-H left SUSE to work for
30 the Linux Foundation was so that he could be completely
31 distro-independent. AFAIK he has never worked for Red Hat.
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 PCMCIA: People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms