From: "John H. Moe" <johnmoe@×××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] In search of a "good" windowmanager
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 23:31:00
8 Lars Gustäbel wrote:
On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 03:40:56PM +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
 I would like to hear from others what experiences they made with
14 what windowmanagers.
18 Hi!
19
20 I've been using fvwm2 (http://fvwm.org) for years now and am quite happy with
21 it. Although it may look old and strange at first (the default settings are
22 rather horrible IIRC), it is possible to configure every tiny detail of it
23 using config files. I am still sometimes amazed of what you can do with it.
24 The fvwm manpage has everything you need to know.
25 The complexity is also its main drawback: it took me several weeks to have
26 it the way I wanted it. fvwm is indeed rather complicated at first but that's
27 why it's so powerful. It is really flexible and you can still use all the
28 little gui tools out there from other window managers. One cool feature of fvwm
29 is that you can assign different window styles based on the application, e.g. I
30 have a graphical system monitor on my third desktop, that is started when I log
31 in via .xinitrc and always stays on bottom, never gets the focus and does not
32 appear in the window list or on the task bar, so it does not interfere with the
33 rest of the system at all.
34 Before using fvwm2 I used KDE which had too much stuff I didn't really need.
35 (However, I am still using the KDE kicker panel with fvwm, which I think is
36 quite funny.) When I looked for a new window manager I tried fluxbox for a few
37 days, but it did not convince me. Then I tried fvwm and stayed with it.
38
39 Regards,
43 Vote #2 for FVWM.
  • It does nothing (or at least, an absolute minimum) by default
  • 46
  • you can configure it to be just about whatever you want
  • 47
  • man pages explicitly say it can be used mouse-less, and I'm like
  • 48 you: I grew up with old, command-line systems and am still more
    49 comfortable with that  :-P  so I've configured most mouse bindings to
    50 keys as well
    51
  • Support for extras via FVWM Modules, so that the core system
  • 52 itself stays small.  If you want to add a desktop pager, add the
    53 FVWMPager module.  If you want a taskbar, add the FVWMTaskBar module.
    54 Even a popup banner at startup with FVWMBanner, if you're in to that
    55 sort of thing..  :-P
    56
  • However, as previous poster pointed out, all this configurability
  • 57 is also a bit of a drawback, in that there are a LOT of configuration
    58 items to trawl through to find what you want. But most things I've
    59 wanted to do I've been able to find an example of on the FVWM forums,
    60 which are quite helpful.
  • From what I've read, you can also use FVWM-Themes to try and get
  • 63 a jump start with some possible configs, but I've never used them, so I
    64 can't comment on their worth or helpfulness
    67 HTH
    68
    69 John Moe