From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] perl-cleaner lerfovers
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 16:35:23
1 On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 12:52 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 02:46:01PM +0200, Alexander Kapshuk wrote
4 > >
5 > > I didn't know that. Thanks. I seem to have quite a few in my world file
6 > at
7 > > the moment. I didn't put any of them in there by hand though, to the best
8 > > of my knowledge.
9 > >
10 > > grep -i libs /var/lib/portage/world
11 > > dev-libs/glib
12 > > dev-libs/libevent
13 > > dev-libs/libyaml
14 > > media-libs/gst-plugins-base
15 > > media-libs/gst-plugins-base:0.10
16 > > media-libs/gstreamer
17 > > media-libs/gstreamer:0.10
18 > > media-libs/libpng
19 > > media-libs/libpng:1.2
20 > > media-libs/libpng:1.5
21 > > media-libs/libv4l
22 > > media-libs/webrtc-audio-processing
23 > > sys-libs/gpm
24 >
25 > As Peter has noted, you probably updated most of these files manually
26 > without supplying the "-1" (or "--oneshot") option. I do know that
27 > sys-libs/gpm must be in world if you want a text-console mouse-pointer,
28 > because it's a user-selected install. I checked on my system. The
29 > following are on my system, but not in world.
30 >
31 > dev-libs/glib
32 > dev-libs/libevent
33 > media-libs/libpng (=media-libs/libpng-1.6.16)
34 >
35 > If you've emerged any package with the "gstreamer" flag, then...
36 >
37 > media-libs/gst-plugins-base
38 > media-libs/gst-plugins-base:0.10
39 > media-libs/gstreamer
40 > media-libs/gstreamer:0.10
41 >
42 > ...don't belong in world. If you want to clean up world safely, I
43 > suggest the following...
44 >
45 > 1) make a backup of /var/lib/portage/world
46 >
47 > 2) edit /var/lib/portage/world, by removing the following lines...
48 >
49 > dev-libs/glib
50 > dev-libs/libevent
51 > media-libs/libpng
52 > media-libs/libpng:1.2
53 > media-libs/libpng:1.5
54 > media-libs/gst-plugins-base
55 > media-libs/gst-plugins-base:0.10
56 > media-libs/gstreamer
57 > media-libs/gstreamer:0.10
58 >
59 > 3) run the command "emerge -p --depclean" and post the output back here
60 > before doing anything more.
61 >
62 > --
63 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
64 > I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications
67 Thanks for your reply.
68
69 What I've done on two of my gentoo systems is, what had been suggested in
70 one of the earlier replies to this thread. I ran emerge -C `grep -i libs
71 /var/lib/portage/world`, followed by emerge @preserved-rebuild.
72 While on another one of my systems I tried emerge --deselect `grep -i libs
73 /var/lib/portage/world`, followed by emerge --depclean.
74
75 As a result, I no longer have any libs in my world set.
76
77 I should probably put sys-libs/gpm back into the world set via emerge
78 --noreplace, based on what you said about the package.
79
80 I should probably look into what does and what doesn't have to go into the
81 world file. Up until recently I assumed that portage would figure that out
82 for me.