From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Power supply or motherboard dead?
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 20:10:10
1 > >>>> > A Gentoo desktop of mine won't turn on anymore. I was hoping it was
2 > >>>> > the power supply but I've installed a new one which doesn't fix the
3 > >>>> > problem. Is there a sure way to know if the motherboard needs
4 > >>>> > replacement or if I have two dead power supplies?
5 > >>>>
6 >
7 > As strange as this may sound, we had a server go down and we thought
8 > psu/mb. it turned out to be the cmos battery. We replaced it (about four
9 > years ago), the server has been flawless since.
10
11 Different motherboards must exhibit different behavior with a bad CMOS
12 battery. Another desktop of mine prints an error to the POST screen
13 about its bad battery. There is a comment here from another owner of
14 my MSI motherboard:
15
16 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/127597/show_product_reviews
17
18 "This is a great board too, except i got an error each boot-turns out
19 the battery was dead, swapped it and it was ok"
20
21 It sounds like my motherboard should still boot with a bad battery.
22
23 - Grant
24
25 > Ted Ozolins (VE7TVO)