From: Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Yahoo and strange traffic.
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:15:52
1 On 08/17/10 20:23, Dale wrote:
2 > Adam Carter wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Is this easy to do? I have no idea where to start except that
5 >> wireshark is installed.
8 >> Yep, start the capture with Capture -> Interfaces and click on the
9 >> start button next to the correct interface, then right click on one
10 >> of the packets that is to the yahoo box and choose Decode As set the
11 >> port and protocol then apply. You'll need to understand the semantics
12 >> of HTTP for it to be of much use tho.
13 >
14 > You had me until the last part. No semantics here. lol May see if
15 > I can post a little and see if anyone can figure out what the heck it
16 > is doing. I'm thinking some crazy bug or something. Maybe checking
17 > for updates not realizing it's Kopete instead of a Yahoo program.
18 >
19 > Thanks. Post back what I find when it does it again.
20 >
21 > Dale
22 >
23 > :-) :-)
24 >
25 If you do try to send it back to us, you might want to limit what it's
26 capturing; Wireshark can get a *lot* of data quickly.
27
28 For instance, if you know it's only communicating with a few servers,
29 after you click on "Capture --> Interfaces", click on the "Options"
30 button, and in the Capture Filter, put "host 98.136.48.110 or host
31 98.136.42.25", which are the two servers you listed at the beginning of
32 this thread (cs210p2.msg.sp1.yahoo.com and rdis.msg.vip.sp1.yahoo.com).
33 Or you could assume that Yahoo are using the 98.136.0.0 network only for
34 this sort of thing, and use a filter of "net 98.136.0.0/16", which would
35 grab all traffic to or from any host with an IP starting with 98.136.x.x.
36
37 Jake Moe