From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I control size of /run (tmpfs)?
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 23:19:20
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 26 May 2012 17:17:54 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> It makes sure that /run is available and writeable early in the boot
5 >>> process, whereas /var/run may not be and / may be mounted ro.
6 >
7 >> Mine wouldn't be since I have /var on a separate partition. I guess the
8 >> devs are getting ready for the ultimate screwup udev and friends is
9 >> putting in place.
10 >
11 > No, it's avoiding a screwup. If you have /var on a separate partition, as
12 > I do, and something early in the boot process writes to /var/run
13 > (or /var/lock) whatever is written disappears when the var filesystem is
14 > mounted on /var. Using a tmpfs in / prevent this.
15 >
16 > The alternative is to require /var is on the same filesystem as / or
17 > mounted from an initramfs. ISTR you were rather against such a move.
18 >
19 > This move makes perfect sense, volatile but essential data is kept in ram
20 > rather than on a filesystem that may not always be available. If you are
21 > really bothered about the maximum size, remount it, although an option to
22 > specify this in rc.conf may possibly be useful in some situations.
27 I was talking about the /usr and/or /var being needed and the init
28 thingy. I was not talking about /run using tmpfs or even being used.
29 In other words, the /usr and/or /var being needed very early in the boot
30 process is the screwup, not /run being used and on tmpfs. It appears
31 that /run is sort of a temp thing while booting and just sort of sticks
32 around after getting booted, since it is there anyway. Why not use it?
33
34 Sort of hard to explain my thinking sometimes. lol I have those days,
35 quite often I'm afraid. :/
36
37 Dale
38
42 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
43 how you interpreted my words!
44
45 Miss the compile output? Hint:
46 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"