From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning up world
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 17:55:29
1 On Dienstag 19 Mai 2009, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > In a previous thread, I learned about keeping world simple with
3 > --oneshot. I realized how mine had gotten so bloated -- when I
4 > update, I edit the --pretend output and feed that directly into
5 > emerge without the benefit of --oneshot.
6 >
7 > So today I started a cleanup project. I began by moving world to
8 > world-bloated and running emerge --depclean -p just to see what would
9 > happen. The answer is ... a loop!
10 >
11 > There were a couple of missing or out of date packages and I emerged
12 > them. But libusb has to be 10.6 to make some packages happy and 10.7
13 > to satisfy others.
14 >
15 > I have been down this route before. I don't feel like unmerging
16 > either side of the mess, and even if I didn't want the packages, it is
17 > way too much hassle to unmerge them one by one as the list of unhappy
18 > packages grows.
19 >
20 > So, what is the proper way to recreate a proper world file? If
21 > depclean can finally run one of these days when gentoo gets back in
22 > sync, is staring with an empty world file as good as anything else?
23 > The idea of trying to make intelligent guesses about which packages
24 > are truly top level, out of 3000+ packages, is not enticing.
25
26 nano -w world
27 remove everything you did not install.
28
29 Oh, and why that --pretend and feed into emerge' crap? Just do -a and world
30 will not be bloated at all.