From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Any one using www-apps/online-bookmarks
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:26:20
1 On Jan 23, 2008 6:45 AM, <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 <snip>
4
5 > > ls -al /var/lib/mysql
6 >
7 > drwx------ 2 mysql mysql 1752 Jan 22 15:55 mysql
8 > drwx------ 2 mysql mysql 48 Jan 22 15:55 test
9 >
10 > It struck me odd that /var/lib/mysql has another directory inside with
11 > the same name... but that was how the previous install looked as well.
14 Yeah - the sub-dirs under /var/lib/mysql are the individual named
15 database schemas, and mysql uses the "mysql" schema to store the info
16 about users, databases, privileges, etc., which brings us to the next
17 point:
18
19 > > Also, what do you get in the MySQL console if you do a:
20 > > show databases;
21 >
22 > mysql> show databases;
23 > +--------------------+
24 > | Database |
25 > +--------------------+
26 > | information_schema |
27 > +--------------------+
28 > 1 row in set (0.03 sec)
29
30 This is *very* abnormal. You should have *at least* seen 3 items:
31 information_schema, mysql, and test. The fact that nothing but the
32 "meta" database shows up (AFAIK, information_schema isn't actually a
33 DB in MySQL, it's just metadata about the server - kind of like the
34 /proc filesystem in *nix). So, this leads me to think that maybe the
35 MySQL service had not been restarted since the last time you emerged
36 mysql? This would explain why cleaning the log dir and then restarting
37 MySQL fixed it...
41 > > Also, try doing the create database procedure as previously outlined,
42 > > then do a tail -n100 /var/log/mysql/mysql.err and
43 > > /var/log/mysql/mysqld.err and /var/log/mysql/mysql.log - anything
44 > > relative showing up in there? Maybe post the output of the above
45 > > commands, as well as (tbz2'd, if they're large) attaching the
46 > > /var/log/mysql/* files - might help us track this down...
47 >
48 > My first impulse was to look there as well but strangely nothing was
49 > being written about those errors. So in response to your post I
50 > thought I would clean out those logs with rm -f /var/log/mysql/my*
51 >
52 > Then restart mysql.
53 >
54 > Surprisingly after doing those steps. It now works.
55 >
56 > Apparently you've backhandedly fixed it simply with a request for
57 > information... : ).
58
59 Heh. Stranger things have happened, but not *too* much stranger... ;)
62 > Now smooth as silk:
63
64 Awesome, glad it's working for you!
68 > Reminds me of a comment a neighbor made yrs ago.
69 >
70 > I was a sort of neighborhood fixit guy. Pretty handy with my hands
71 > from a lifetime of bluecollar work and being raised as a kid in the
72 > country.
73 >
74 > Neighbors would call me when their fixit chores got out of there
75 > league. This one neighbor, on having me come over for an electrical
76 > problem, swore things at his house started just working when he called
77 > me to come over... said they'd see me coming and just know they'd have to
78 > work shortly.
79 >
80 > That appears to be what happened here.
81
82 Yeah, I've seen that happen quite a bit with computers - someone is
83 having a problem (consistently, too), they call in the computer tech,
84 and it starts working perfectly as soon as the tech is there... :) A
85 hypothesis of mine is that (at least some of the time), as soon as the
86 computer tech is there, and asking to see the problem duplicated, the
87 user focuses more on what they are actually doing, and in doing so,
88 performs the action in the correct manner... Possibly... :)
89
90 -James
91 --
92 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list