From: Wolfgang Liebich <Wolfgang.Liebich@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] What's the best way to install gentoo on an OLD K6 box w/ tight memory & small disks?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:30:09
1 Hi,
2 I have a rather old computer (tyan motherboard, K6 processor) which
3 currently runs debian. I want to convert it to a gentoo box. As the
4 system is rather old and it's disks are very small by today's
5 standards, too, I would like to hear about your experiences with such
6 tight situations.
7 Some questions:
8 1) What's the best install route? The system is connected to the
9 internet via ADSL & a speedtouch USB modem (works pretty good). Has
10 the live cd the necessary kernel modules + the modem_run utility?
11 There is no spare partition available, btw...
12 2) Is it a good idea to use dietlibc or ulibc instead of glibc? The PC
13 will be a standalone machine, so neither NIS nor LDAP are a concern -
14 classis shadow password authentication is enough.
15 Concerning languages - I want to type in & read german texts, too - so
16 displaying utf8 or iso-latin-0/1 texts is a must. BUT I do not care
17 much for german man pages or error messages - they are nice, but
18 conserving disk space & memory is more important.
19 3) I have a more modern machine available for pre building a custom
20 install CD - here disk space is not so big a concern.
21
22 Any comments would be appreciated...
23 - Wolfgang
24 --