From: Anthony Metcalf <Anthony.Metcalf@×××××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hardware autodetection at boot
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 16:06:53
1 Pawel K wrote:
2 > I compiled the kernel with all modules:
3 >
4 > make allmodconfig
5 > make
6 > make modules_install
7 >
8 > I have udev running on my machine since more than a year.
9 > I created the following section in grub.conf:
10 >
11 > title vanilla-all-modules
12 > root (hd0,0)
13 > kernel /boot/kernel-all-modules root=/dev/hda1
14 >
15 > The kernel is unable to mount my ext3 root filesystem.
16 > It shows the following message:
17 > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
18 > unknown-block(0,0).
19 >
20 > (hd0,0) is correct since I copied it from my daily grub section.
21 > I have ext3.ko in the following path:
22 > /lib/modules/2.6.24.3/kernel/fs/ext3/ext3.ko
23 >
24 > Could you give me some indications of how to solve this problem.
25 >
26 > Thanks in advance
27 >
28 > *//*
29 /*make allmodconfig will make everything it can as a module, including
30 the filesystems.....you need the ext3 built in to mount the root filesystem.
31
32 my advise would be to make menuconfig after you have done make all
33 config, and change the ext3 from mto * (i.e. built in, not modular),
34 then make && make modules_install
37 */