From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gnome-control-center any way to configure without pulseaudio?
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 03:53:53
1 On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >  An answer from a different Walter <G>...
3 >
4 >> I also don't use pulse - plain ALSA is good enough for me - but looking
5 >> over the design goals for pulseaudio I see a decent attempt to deal
6 >> with audio properly for the future. These days we have computers and
7 >> devices that can interact with many other things in weird and
8 >> wonderful ways and software needs to deal with that.
9 >
10 > [...deletia...]
11 >
12 >> I just curious why you think that it's not useful to the ordinary
13 >> user in a generic wide way.
14 >
15 >  I'll throw the question back to you.  What specific benefits do you
16 > see?  Not just generalities, but real life benfits, please.
17
18 Debugging. I know which app sounds comes from, in the event that it's
19 ambiguous. I know whether or not I need to adjust the sound settings
20 within an app based on the per-app volume menu.
21
22 Mixing. Yes, I understand there's dmix. There's no obvious interface
23 to control per-app mixing levels. Where an app doesn't offer
24 individual volume control, that's sometimes useful.
25
26 These are real-life benefits for users. Maybe not you. *Nobody* can
27 tell you that PA is right for you, because you've rejected it and
28 because you're satisfied with what you have. If what you have works
29 for you, great. Honestly, a pure-ALSA configuration works for me right
30 now. Some times, it hasn't, and I've used PA at those times.
31
32 >  Sound
33 > daemons in general seem to be solutions in search of a problem.  And if
34 > they couldn't find any problems to solve, they'd make up some new ones
35 > of their own.  I remember the first I heard of pulseaudio was all the
36 > weeping and moaning of people on this forum and the GTALUG (Toronto area
37 > linux mailing list) trying to get sound working again after installing
38 > pulseaudio.
39 >
40 >  Remember arts and esd?  They went the way of HAL.  Nuff said.  The
41 > thing to remember is that humans cannot multitask audio very well.  Try
42 > listening to 2 radio stations at once, and see what I mean.
43
44 Or play a game with sound effects and music at the same time, and see
45 that mixing exists for a reason. (And then turn off the in-game music
46 and play something appropriate.)
49 :wq