From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] start X at startup without a login manager
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:22:57
1 On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Friday 20 March 2009, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:09 AM, fei huang <daniel.huangfei@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 >> > I don't have any "xdm", "gdm" stuff but would like to start my windows
6 >> > manager directly at startup, cause I'm the only one that use it.
7 >>
8 >> I agree with Sebastian, you should try "slim"
9 >>
10 >> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/SLiM
11 >
12 > What is the benefit of SLiM compared to vanilla xdm + Fluxbox?
13
14 The original poster apparently did not want to use XDM. SLiM is
15 simplistic (no remote access, etc), and supposedly more secure (does
16 not need to run as root).