From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Heads up on recent QT updates and 2nd display.
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2019 11:25:41
1 Howdy,
2
3 I finished a recent update which included a lot of QT packages.  I did
4 my usual logout and log back in procedure and my second display, what I
5 use to watch TV with, was not working.  At first I thought it might be
6 the splitter box but after connecting directly and it still not working,
7 I found that not to be the case.  According to the program Nvidia
8 provides for setting up this sort of thing, everything was recognized
9 and working as it should but still a "no signal" message on the TV.
10 After a bit, I decided to logout and back in again.  When I did that,
11 everything worked again without any action from me.  It just worked as
12 it should.
13
14 I'm posting so that if anyone else does the same upgrade and runs into
15 this issue, just logout and back in again before panicking or changing
16 other things that won't help.  I'm not sure what caused this.  I don't
17 know if a config didn't go well on the first login or if something
18 failed to load properly.  I just wanted to give a heads up in case
19 anyone runs into this issue and needs something simple to try.
20
21 On a side note, I may look into configuring my displays in a way that
22 any DM, desktop manager, will recognize.  Right now, it is set up so
23 that KDE works.  I don't think it works in any other DM tho.  I haven't
24 had to fiddle with the X stuff in so long, I'd have to find a howto to
25 know where to start.  Maybe sometime later when I feel like messing with
26 it.
27
28 Also, been testing my new puter speakers.  Sounds a lot better.  For a
29 set of 5 1/4 car speakers, sounds darn good.  Yeppie!!!  Still got some
30 stuff to do to finish it tho.  I got the connector plate thingy in the
31 mail yesterday.  TV system is coming soonish.
32
33 Hope this info helps someone.
34
35 Dale