From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] *draft* for setting up network bridge with systemd (for qemu/kvm)
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 22:38:27
1 Am 05.02.2013 23:00, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
2 > Am 29.01.2013 20:48, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
3 >
4 >> Thanks for sharing ... I quickly followed your suggestions and built
5 >> another service-file with your solution (you had typos btw -> "brigdge"
6 >> ;-) ). It works as well and is maybe even slimmer in execution.
7 >>
8 >> I will just keep both versions around and see where it gets me.
9 >
10 > The *fun* is: I just now learned about macvtap-devices ... which seem to
11 > enable me to get rid of that bridging at all ... afai understand it will
12 > be enough to run network.service and libvirtd will do the rest
13 > (correctly configured kernel given).
14 >
15 > testing now ...
16
17 hmmm ... yes and no:
18
19 http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Guest_can_reach_outside_network,_but_can't_reach_host_(macvtap)
20
21 Yes, I was able to connect my VMs to a macvtap-device on my gentoo
22 server host and this got them online vs. other networks (they could
23 reach the internet etc).
24
25 No, I wasn't able to ssh into them from the KVM-host itself ... which in
26 my case is my main gentoo workstation where I run VMs within KVM for
27 several purposes ...
28
29 The workaround mentioned in the link above didn't work out so far for
30 me, some more fiddling needed maybe. Got to think it over, but it seems
31 way of an overhead to run an isolated network to contact VMs on my
32 *local* machine just to be able to use macvtap :-P
33
34 At least I learned about that new (to me ...) feature and the
35 opportunity to use it with gentoo. Great. Really.
36
37 In my case here it isn't about maximum performance ... I use KVM to test
38 things and prepare VMs or installations to deploy somewhere else.
39
40 For gentoo-based-KVM-servers it is a bit different: the need to contact
41 the VM via the virtualization host isn't that important, if I am able to
42 ssh/ping/whatever the VM from the outside, that is good enough.
43
44 I have to deploy such a server in about two weeks. The good old bridging
45 with TAP-devices etc. will be good enough. Especially as I replace
46 another server still running VMware Server 2.x ... -> KVM with libvirt,
47 on a recent gentoo-kernel should really improve things ... aside from
48 networking details.
49
50 --- sorry for dumping my thoughts in here.
51
52 Stefan