From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Improving SpamAssassin's accuracy...
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:00:08
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 03:08:38 +0000
4 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5
6 > I emerged SpamAssasin on a mailserver the other day, added the
7 > appropriate line to /etc/postfix/master.cf and it all seems to be
8 > working ok. But it doesn't seem to be very accurate in the default
9 > configuration - I have a mailbox with about 4,000 messages,
10 > approximately 98% of which are spam and it gets only about 1/3 of
11 > them. The statement in `perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf`that "5.0 is
12 > the default setting, is quite aggressive" does not seem true here.
13
14 I'd strongly suggest using the Bayesian filters, per-user, that is. For
15 a mail setup at my company for about 20 people with high mail traffic
16 I'm running a nightly cron job to archieve that.
17
18 Basically it works like this:
19 - All incoming mail is scanned by Spamassassin, Bayes enabled
20 - Users have "virtual homedirs" for Spamassassin
21 - A nightly cron job learns all mail in users' INBOX.Spam.LearnSpam and
22 INBOX.Spam.LearnHam folders (it's a simple shell script)
23
24 That way all users can put mails they'd like to be learned as being
25 spam in the respective IMAP folder and have them automatically learned
26 overnight. Simple setup, highly effective, simple for my users.
27
28 In order to give more hints to setup this, it would be helpful to know
29 which mail storage is being used (IMAP? What server? What storage?).
30
31 -hwh
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list