From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Compilation error mpv / libav
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2017 05:50:43
1 On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 11:04 PM, John Campbell <jdc.rpv@×××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 >> I installed ffmpeg-9999 and it compiles fines.
4 >>
5 >> Everything else failed again (for example mpv-9999).
6 >>
7 >> Why does an update of already ok installed applications
8 >> break something in parts because the installation
9 >> has components, which are mutually exclusive?
10 >> They weren't before (whichout the update everythong was fine...)
11 >
12 > I've been periodically fighting with mpv and ffmpeg for various reasons
13 > for quite some time. Which is why I've been pushed into running live
14 > versions of both. Version bumps on ebuilds that fail version checks
15 > (like this one) is my first line of defence.
16 >
17 > The reason live rebuilds keep breaking even though they're installed it
18 > the upstream developers change to library requirements and flags without
19 > telling anyone.
20 >
21 > There's a bug report about this at https://bugs.gentoo.org/635650 which
22 > seems to offer several solutions and satisfies none... It looks like
23 > the decision at present is "wait and hope it gets fixed upstream"
26 With Gentoo that is usually the most expedient solution, cost of time
27 considering.