From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo on a raspberry pi with omxplayer
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 00:37:08
1 On 31/12/12 06:17, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 19:27:21 +0800
3 > William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi, I have a working gentoo base system on a new RPI B model. I am
6 >> starting to add X and ratpoison with the aim of using omxplayer to a
7 >> nfs share from my mythbox, but hope someone else has been there
8 >> before me.
9 >>
10 >> In reality, I would like to just run omxplayer on a minimum
11 >> framebuffer, but not sure if it will use the acceleration (google
12 >> hits are ambiguous) as Ive bought the mpeg2 codec licence.
13 >>
14 >> Any hints/guides on how to do this could save me a lot of time :)
17 > Hi Bill,
18 >
19 > I have no experience using omxplayer on a Pi connecting to a mythbox,
20 > but i do have experience running several ports of xbmc on a Pi to play
21 > media (I reckon they are comparable), and I will happily share my
22 > conclusions with you:
23 >
24 > It's not worth the effort.
25 >
26 > No matter what you do, no matter what tweaks you try to employ, the Pi
27 > just does not have enough CPU grunt to do the job. Oh, it's fine with
28 > small low-resolution files and straightforward audio, but sooner or
29 > later you'll want to run some media that needs more and the Pi falls
30 > down on that score. It's usually because it has to decode the audio in
31 > software on the CPU. In my case I don;t have kit I can passthrough
32 > audio to (I use a regular TV), so YMMV if you have decent audio kit.
33 >
34 > I eventually gave up trying to coerce my Pi into working and asked
35 > Santa Claus for an Xtreamer Ultra 2 instead (he complied) and all my
36 > HTPC problems are fixed.
37 >
38 > If your intent is to learn something by all means proceed (you will
39 > learn, and lots of it :-). But if you are looking for something to use
40 > that works, it's probably only fair you know up front the odds of
41 > success are not good.
45 Thanks for the conclusions ... I agree in part at least that its
46 underpowered (already mildly overclocking it and using distcc) but its
47 both a learning experience and hopefully will be useful.
48
49 It will play the files I am interested in (I tested using xbmc), however
50 I am not as interested in gaudy eye candy (which seems to be what xbmc
51 is all about) as in something easy to use - and myth integration was
52 woeful on the version I tried.
53
54 I have (after an overnight compile) a working X on framebuffer (tested
55 at 720p) using ratpoison - omxplayer is now compiling.
56
57 I am thinking of a simple ncurses or perltk interface to spawn omxplayer
58 with a seleced file - need nothing more complex than that. I already
59 have a "myth job" transcoding off-air recordings to an ipad friendly
60 720p with proper descriptive file names so I am aiming to start out with
61 a similar, quite basic setup.
62
63 I have overcome the versioning mismatch in the various components and
64 the licence is enabled according to a test. Did you use the licenced
65 mpeg2 playback?
66
67 BillK