From: Marco Rebhan <me@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Official support for the s6 init on Gentoo
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 19:26:12
1 On Sunday, 19 September 2021 19.15.50 CEST lumaro@×××××××.org wrote:
2 > The worst thing for OpenRC
3 > (native, by default and alternative to systemd) is to adopt binaries
4 > from it
5
6 Hi,
7
8 Those binaries (I'm assuming you're talking about udev and tmpfilesd)
9 don't really have any overlap with what OpenRC does (init/service
10 management) and from what I can see it's the exact same situation for s6
11 so the same systemd code would still be required. I'm not saying that s6
12 support is a bad thing but the reason you state for adding it seems out
13 of place.
14
15 There's an existing s6 eclass that installs s6 services; as far as I can
16 see, a total of 2 packages use it right now. My guess is that the reason
17 why there's no s6 support across the board yet is lack of interest. You
18 could either create a dedicated overlay or submit patches to the gentoo
19 repository to directly add support to more packages.
20
21 -Marco