From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FAN-Speed readout/control ???
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 08:21:31
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hallo,
3 >
4 > I want to read the fan speed and want to control it with gentoo.
5 >
6 > My motherboard is a ASUS Crosshair IV Formula.
7 >
8 > lm_sensors does not report any relevant sensor.
9 >
10 > Does anyone got this working on this or an equivalent board with 890FX
11 > chipset?
12 >
13 > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
14 > Best regards
15 > mcc
19 I'll tell you how I did mine. Just build all the sensor drivers into
20 the kernel, not modules but built in. Compile and boot the kernel.
21 Methos one, if you open gkrellm and it can see the fans, temp and such,
22 then it is working. Sometimes you can look in gkrellm's configuration
23 and find the driver. When you open the sensors window, it will list the
24 path which contains the name of the sensor. Another way, cat
25 /sys/devices/platform/ then hit tab twice. Mine for example lists
26 it87.552. The it87 part is what you look for in the kernel. If you
27 want to be certain it sees everything, continue with the cat command and
28 hitting tab until you get to where it lists all the fan and temp files.
29 Mine has two temps and about 4 fans I think it is. If you see what
30 should be there then you have the right one.
31
32 Then go back to the kernel and remove everything but the one that
33 matches what you found either in gkrellm or the cat command. Rebuild
34 the kernel and reboot.
35
36 This seems like a lot of trouble but after spending about two hours on
37 google and not finding the info, that was what I did. It isn't always
38 the easy way but it works for me.
39
40 You could also google for "linux compatible hardware" and see if someone
41 was nice enough to post what they used on one of those sites. That
42 doesn't always work.
43
44 Hope that helps or gives you a good chuckle for the round about way of
45 doing it. lol
46
47 Dale
48