From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WiFi adaptor playing up
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:11:33
1 On 1/29/07, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > My only consolation is that this fault is not intermittent. :-(
3 >
4 > Here's what happened. I emerged a different (to my tried & tested rt2x00-9999
5 > wireless driver). Then I uninstalled rt2x00-9999, but I couldn't get the new
6 > driver to work. So, I unmerged it, remerged rt2x00-9999 (this is a CVS
7 > package)
8
9 Bingo. :)
10 Since this is a CVS package, the version that you just now installed
11 is different than the one that you did have installed - CVS packages
12 go out to the live development tree, pull the latest and greatest
13 version of the development source code (never, ever, ever guaranteed
14 to work), and use that.
15
16 So - possible solutions:
17 1. Figure out the date/time of the emerge of the *successful*
18 rt2x00-9999 package using genlop, then check out the CVS source tree
19 as of that date, and build/install by hand
20 2. Work with the rt2x00 developers to figure out the problem and get
21 it corrected in the current version
22 3. Try what I'm currently doing with my rt2500 card (using the
23 rt2x00-999 package compiled from CVS on Wed Jan 3 20:39:53 2007,
24 according to genlop) - manually set the ESSID, AP, and encryption
25 settings on the card, then issue a /etc/init.d/net.ra0 start/restart
26 command.
27
28 BTW - If you do figure out the date/time of the successful CVS
29 package, let me know, and I'll try that one on my laptop, see if it
30 fixes my problems. :)
31
32 HTH
33