From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backups
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:05:42
1 > > > Do you back up anything other than /etc and /home on a standard system?
2 > >
3 > > In a Gentoo system nothing is really standard, so I backup everything
4 > > from / and then have a small exclude list with things like:
5 > >
6 > > /dev, /proc, /sys, /exports, /var/cache/squid, /srv/BackupPC.
9 > > /var contains the most important files on a Gentoo system, if you loss
10 > > the portage installed software information your in a heap of trouble.
11 > > Goes both ways though backup of portages var information is less useful
12 > > without backup of everything installed.
15 > > I'm undecided about /usr/portage, I could save some time backing up
16 > > /usr/portage/distfiles, but it is easily generated content.
20 > > Minimal backup - if your willing to spend the hours on getting thing
21 > > back up and running.
22 > >
23 > > /etc /root /home /usr/local /var
24 >
25 > For now I think I'll do /etc, /root, /home, /var/lib/portage/world,
26 > /usr/src/linux/.config, and anything specific I might need in
27 > /usr/local. What else am I missing out on in /var? I'm OK with a
28 > full reinstall for now.
29 >
30 > - Grant
31
32 /boot/grub/grub.conf too. Does anyone leave /boot mounted all the time?
33
34 - Grant
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list