From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Disk recommendations?
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 08:05:26
1 On 04/10/2011 03:50:59 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Peter Humphrey
3 > <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > ....
5 > I read about again and again is a RAID user who loses 1 drive and
6 > then, while in the process of fixing the RAID, loses a second drive.
7 > Most of us (myself included) buy identical drives all at the same
8 > time
9 > from the same vendor. This means all the drives were likely from the
10 > same manufacturing batch and, if they are drives that will fail at
11 > all
12 > then the group will likely experience multiple drive failures. The
13
14 Life time is always a statistical statement and therefore I consider it
15 very unlikely that two or more of them fail at the same time - perhaps
16 with one (big) exception. A given brand/model might be very sensitive
17 to power failures or excess voltages, and in that case many of them
18 could fail after a power failure - or excess voltage.
19
20 Since my data is not rapidly changing, I backup my data several times a
21 day onto a spare disk which I spin down in between (using hdparm).
22 At least I hope to increase the life time of that backup disk this way.
25 Helmut.