From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cloning a directory hierarchy, but not the content
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:33:11
1 Florian Philipp writes:
2
3 > Use `truncate -s <size> <file>`
4 >
5 > It creates a sparse file if the specified file is smaller than the
6 > specified size. It will also create a new file if it does not yet exist.
7
8 Nice one. First I did not see an improvement over using dd to create the
9 sparse file, but in combination with cp --attributes-only I can now
10 duplicate the file with its attributes but zero size, and then fake the
11 size.
12
13 > In order to avoid trouble with line breaks in names, I recommend
14 > something like:
15 > find . -type f -print0 |
16 > while read -d $'\0' file; do
17 > echo "File=$file"
18 > done
19
20 Thanks!
23 > For copying file attributes from one file to another you can use `cp
24 > --attributes-only`.
25
26 Oh my, another case of a (german) man page that does not show all the
27 possible arguments. Never heard about that, thanks!
28
29 Wonko