From: "João Miguel" <jmcf125@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Root device as UUID not properly detected
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 16:55:44
1 > Did you try other USB sticks, which you know work in other machines,
2 > in that one machine ? Otherwise, it mb something awry in that machine.
3 Yes I did. As I said, I had such a USB stick with Arch Linux installed,
4 and it worked there just fine. In fact, I tried just now (to make sure,
5 though with a recovery drive, uses isolinux), and it's ok. Note there
6 are really 3 levels of "working":
7
8 1 - works flawlessly - only VM for this pen
9 2 - initrd doesn't recognize the disk on the 1st attempt to mount root,
10 works after waiting a few seconds and trying again (not waiting enough
11 gives an error again)
12 3 - initrd doesn't recognize the disk ever (I went up to 5 mins, sounds
13 more than enough)
14
15 That PC is in 3. But any other disk I tried so far works. And I never
16 had this error before, with any sort of pen, including the Gentoo
17 recovery/install pen which supposedly uses genkernel as I do here, but
18 somehow initrd always works with it (case 1).
19
20 The fact that 2 does happen for every other PC says there is actually
21 something awry, but I think it's with the initrd.
22
23 The thing is that BIOS knows the pen is there, syslinux also detects it
24 right away and knows where the root partition is with UUID, and still
25 the initrd can't figure it out right away?
26
27 Best regards,
28 João Miguel