From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 10:53:17
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 00:03:32 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >>> So why are you installing it, and all its dependencies, on the one
6 >>> hand, and complaining about bloat on the other? Surely installing
7 >>> stuff you don't need is the very definition of bloat.
8 >>>
9 >
10 >> But it installed stuff either way. Instread of ABD, I got WXYZ because
11 >> of dependencies. It's not that I want them, it's that portage needs
12 >> them to make a package that I do want happy. This reminds me of the
13 >> six of one or half a dozen of the other. This may be nine of one tho.
14 >> lol
15 >>
16 > My question was why are you installing cantor if you don't need it?
17 >
18 > You don't use it, you don't need it, it drags in a bunch of dependencies
19 > that require other packages to install more files too, yet you still want
20 > it there.
21 >
22 > Hint: I don't have cantor installed and the sky hasn't fallen in, at
23 > least not yet.
27 Oh, I see. It was pulled in by kde-meta. I know I can have KDE other
28 ways but it is much easier to emerge kde-meta than to emerge < some huge
29 amount of packages >. There are times when I am looking through the
30 menu and find something interesting that I didn't know about before. So
31 far, Cantor isn't one of them. lol
32
33 Dale
34