From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Feckless xdm not much of a manager
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:35:25
1 On 08/25/2010 01:40 PM, Robert Bridge wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Sorry, but that has several bits of misinformation.
4 >>
5 >> "xdm" is not a generic term, or at least I didn't mean it that way. It's the
6 >> package x11-apps/xdm.
7 >
8 > Gentoo uses the term xdm in two ways, one is for the xdm display
9 > manager, provided by that package. The other is for the init scripts
10 > used to launch a display manager. The init script launches the display
11 > manager specified in the config files, kdm being the common one
12 > choosen for KDE.
13
14 You put it very well, Robbie. I should have said xdm is the more
15 "ancient" term, the generic display manager that's been around since the
16 dawn of X. Which everyone hated. So folks wrote new ones that had more
17 pizazz and nifty features, which they loved. They're all still X display
18 managers (thus, xdm), so you use xdm to start it. One of your display
19 managers could be ye olde xdm, if you choose.