From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: crossdev setup questions for distcc usage
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 14:02:58
Walter Dnes <waltdnes <at> waltdnes.org> writes:

> PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage ${PORTDIR_OVERLAY}"
PORTDIR is deprecated, from my understanding as to the new schemes for repos and the namespaces[1]. We're in a transition, so this might be an excellent issue to flush out with the devs[2]. As soon as you (cross)compile with more than one core, things that work and do not work seem to often be ambiguous on the results. From what I've experienced over the years and read, it may be best to keep the flag setting extremely conservative and test your results before using more aggressively experimental configurations. I have not done much of this since I built some i586 (amd&intel) binaries for minimized gentoo systems quite a few years ago. I'm interested in exactly what you are doing, plus extending the cross compile to arm architectures and running on top of clusters of gentoo systems; please continue to post back what you discover. For this sort of (cluster compiling) experimentation, folks build custom 'frameworks' so you might have some luck adding 'framework' to your keyword searches related to distributed compiling. I have several old 586 and 686 based systems laying around, so I can duplicate and verify your results if you like. Also, lots of linux distros compile for target 386 binaries so they run everywhere; it might be a good resources if you can find where one of those niche linux distros describe how they cross compile for their periodic releases. ZeroChaos (gentoo dev) releases i686 codes for pentoo, so that might be another source of expertise you can use as a guide.[3] hth, James [1] {gentoo-dev} Naming of repositories (3/14/15) [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Portage/Sync [3] http://www.pentoo.ch/download/tools_list_i686_2014_0_RC3_5