From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] realtek 8197 wireless card setup
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 12:50:43
1 Hi Jeff,
2
3 On Wednesday 19 December 2007, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
4 > I have checked, and ndiswrapper and the rtl8187 package were uninstalled.
5 > I think that the problem I have may be more basic.
6 >
7 > The card I have is an 8197, not an 8187. I wonder if this is part of the
8 > problem. Could it be that the kernel driver does not support the 8197?
9 >
10 > The attached weblink suggests that this may be the case:
11 > http://www.datanorth.net/~cuervo/blog/2007/09/26/no-more-vista/
12 >
13 > Does anyone know how I can locate the equivalent code in the kernel and
14 > perhaps perform a similar modification?
15
16 (can you please stop top-posting, it makes reading of threads difficult in
17 this mailing list).
18
19 Your device may still be supported by the driver. The problem may exist with
20 the wpa_supplicant. You could try commenting out the wpa_supplicant in
21 your /etc/conf.d/net file and using net-wireless/wireless-tools instead.
22 Then try again to see if it a)finds the access point (try iwlist wlan0
23 scanning), b)associates with it (try iwlist wlan0 accesspoint) . Of course
24 you will need to remove WPA from the AP. Should all this succeed you can
25 work your way up from there.
26
27 PS. I haven't managed to make wpa_supplicant work with my device rt2570usb
28 for more than a year now, but haven't tried recently.
29 --
30 Regards,
31 Mick