From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Managing multiple Gentoo systems
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 19:06:14
1 >>> Have you considered using PXE to network boot your systems? you can
2 >>> have various configurations set up based on mac addresses to address
3 >>> different hardware issues. I recommend trying out SystemRescueCD to
4 >>> experiment with PXE booting for the client and server.
5 >>
6 >> That sounds like exactly what I need.  So, I could set up a Gentoo
7 >> server and a bunch of completely diskless clients which would all PXE
8 >> boot from the server?  Would the clients basically each control a
9 >> different virtual terminal on the server?
10 >
11 > Each machine can pull a copy of the master boot image to make updates
12 > a lot simpler. The SystemRescueCD PXE boot mechanism just pushes out a
13 > copy of the CD to all the machines to boot them. to update the boot
14 > image just update the files in one location to update all machines.
15 > the machines act as separate fully functioning machine. Check out
16 > http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_PXE_network_booting to
17 > see how to setup the PXE boot environment.
18
19 I think I get it now and it sounds great, exactly what I'm looking for.
20
21 Everything can be done in RAM, no disks required?
22
23 Can PXE boot be done wirelessly? Maybe only if the wireless is
24 onboard? I tried to Google this but the info returned is terribly
25 outdated for some reason.
26
27 Do you think SystemRescueCD is the best boot image for clients that
28 only need a browser?
29
30 What sort of machine would work well as a client? Should I just put
31 together a bunch of motherboards with onboard video and ethernet,
32 CPUs, RAM, PSUs, and small cases? Is there a prebuilt system that
33 works well for this? Maybe an ARM-15 system as "Tampa Bay" James
34 referenced, although I think that isn't released yet.
35
36 - Grant