From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 3.5
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 06:17:46
1 On 5/26/06, Anthony E. Caudel <acaudel@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I see that KDE 3.5 finally made it out of testing. I plan to upgrade to
3 > it but since it is slotted, I'll have to unmerge 3.4 first.
4
5 You don't need to unmerge 3.4 _first_. You can do it after you have
6 merged 3.5, although even then it is optional.
7
8 > Does the fact that it does not use the kde
9 > flag guarantee that it does not need the kde libraries?
10
11 No, like all USE flags, the kde flag is only for *optional* kde
12 support. There are some applications that will not work at all
13 without KDE, even though they are not part of KDE. Those applications
14 will not have a kde use flag, but will bring in whatever parts of kde
15 they depend on. Examples are koffice, kdevelop, kmplayer, kaffeine,
16 ...
17
18 equery depends kdelibs | grep -v kde-base/
19
20 > Course, I guess I could blithely go along and as apps crash, I'll find
21 > the others.
22
23 revdep-rebuild
24