From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] QEMU setup questions
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 04:16:35
1 On 25/07/2013 04:24, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > Thanks to all who replied. sys-firmware/seabios needed the "binary"
3 > flag and sys-firmware/ipxe needed the "qemu" and "vmware" flags. It's
4 > starting now, and most of my problems are solved.
5 >
6 > I still have permission problems as a regular user with qemu-kvm, but
7 > qemu-system-i386 works. Root can start qemu-kvm. "modprobe kvm-intel"
8 > from a root xterm, followed by "qemu-kvm blahblahblah" from a regular
9 > user (i.e. "waltdnes") fails...
10 >
11 > Could not access KVM kernel module: Permission denied
12 > failed to initialize KVM: Permission denied
13 >
14 > Before anybody asks...
15 >
16 > # grep kvm /etc/group
17 > kvm:x:78:waltdnes,user2
18
19 1) What are the permissions of the device node mentioned in my previous
20 response?
21
22 2) Does the groups command show that you're in the group right now?
23
24 >
25 >
26 > One more question... I rebuilt qemu with sdl enabled, and now have the
27 > Gentoo install ISO booting up in a window via sdl with...
28 >
29 > qemu-system-i386 -cpu qemu32 -m 3072 -hda sda.raw -cdrom installx86.iso -boot d
30 >
31 > But the screen refreshes are somewhat slow. I'd prefer to do it with
32 > vnc. What is the way to boot up and connect with vnc now? Starting
33 > with...
34 >
35 > qemu-system-i386 -vnc :0 -cpu qemu32 -m 3072 -hda sda.raw -cdrom installx86.iso -boot d
36 >
37 > ...gives no output at all. "ps -ef" shows the qemu process is present.
38
39 Of course. You've asked it to couple the display with its embedded VNC
40 server. You'll need to connect with a VNC client to see it.
41
42 > I've installed tightvnc, but documentation is almost non-existant.
43 > Google turns up tons of download sites and instructions for Windows,
44 > complete with screen captures of cutsie-wootsie dialogue windows. I need
45 > just 2 things please...
46 >
47 > 1) What vnc parameters to enter into the qemu commandline?
48 >
49
50 The parameters you used look fine. Display ":0" should translate to TCP
51 port 5900, meaning that qemu should be listening on port 5900. You can
52 check with netstat or ss.
53
54 > 2) What "vncviewer" or "vncconnect" parameters do I use to get to the
55 > qemu session?
56
57 Assuming both server and client are run locally, connecting to either
58 "localhost:0" or "localhost:5900" should work.
59
60 >
61 > I just had a scary thought... the vnc "help" mentions connecting to
62 > the the client display. But the install cd boots up to a text console.
63 > Please don't tell me that tightvnc can't connect to a plain text
64 > console.
65 >
66
67 It can.