From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Link-local ipv6 address in /etc/hosts? in browsers?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:16:33
1 I think it comes down to a question of whether you're running a few
2 machines at home or small office, versus a large multinational outfit
3 with tens of thousands of machines.
4
5 On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 09:27:29AM -0500, Michael Mol wrote
6
7 > Thinking about it, in your device's case, I suspect you won't want
8 > link-local scope to be your only IPv6 address; you'll want either a
9 > ULA address or a global-scope address. Otherwise, clients not on the
10 > local Ethernet segment won't be able to communicate with it, period;
11 > the user of your device would need a proxy sitting on the segment.
12
13 Possibly important for large installations, but not in the case of the
14 average home user. I don't care if I buy a Christmas tree with separate
15 addresses for each light bulb, in the end, I only have one physical wire
16 from my ISP to my home. So it all has to be funnelled through that one
17 router/gateway.
18
19 > You could use LL addresses to bootstrap, too, but
20 > you come back to the browser support issue you've run into.
21
22 How many machines connect directly to the internet anyways? Cable or
23 fibre internet absolutely requires a modem/gateway anyways, and most
24 ADSL users connect via ADSL modems. They serve as "proxies" under V4
25 and can do so under V6. While ADSL PPPOE can be handled directly by
26 your machine, it uses up some of your CPU cycles, and clutters up
27 iptables logfiles.
30 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>