From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: recovering RAID from an old server
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:52:28
1 On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 10:46 +0100, Francesco Talamona wrote:
2 > > Should I be able to mount them automatically and let the SW RAID
3 > > module sort it out or do I have to know how they're tied together
4 > > beforehand?
5 >
6 > > md: looking for a shared spare drive
7 > > md100: no spare disk to reconstruct array! -- continuing in degraded
8 > > mode
9 > > md: recovery thread finished ...
10 > > md: hde5 [events: 000003a5]<6>(write) hde5's sb offset: 273024
11 > > md: hdg5 [events: 000003a5]<6>(write) hdg5's sb offset: 273024
12 > > XFS mounting filesystem md(9,100)
13 > > Ending clean XFS mount for filesystem: md(9,100)
14 > >
15 > > The partitions look like:
16 > > 9 100 546112 md100
17 > > 9 101 273024 md101
18 >
19 > It seems it has correctly mounted its partition... Can't you find it?
20
21 This is with the server recovery console, which is basically just a web
22 page. No shell access. There's not much I can do to get at md100 and
23 md101 (is this what software RAID devices usually appear as?)
24
25 > I have the feeling that you are messing it up. If I understand it
26 > correctly the server has an hardware RAID controller, that has to be
27 > managed via its drivers.
28
29 I think it's software RAID. There is no RAID controller AFAICT. All 4
30 drives are visible to the BIOS as Primary and Secondary Master and
31 Slaves.
32
33 > Another thing can come very useful: we once had a similar problem, we
34 > ended up borrowing one identical disc from another running server to put
35 > the array back online, we recovered our data, then restored the other
36 > server's array.
37
38 That's a possibility given what I can find on Google, however these are
39 few and far between, so I'd have to find someone willing to send their
40 drive to me (or vice versa) or send me the OS, which overlandstorage
41 doesn't like!
42
43 thanks,
47 Come quickly, I am tasting stars!
48 -- Dom Perignon, upon discovering champagne.