From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How do you deal with overlays and emerge -u world?
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 17:20:12
1 On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:53:22 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > > What I do when I want only one or two packages from an overlay is to
4 > > add that overlay with layman, but do not add it to make.conf. Then I
5 > > symlink the package directories I do want from the layman overlay
6 > > into my local overlay.
7 > >
8 > > That way the overlay is kept up to date by layman, but only the
9 > > packages I choose to link to are actually available.
10 >
11 > Hmm. So you add every overlay by hand in make.conf? I only have this:
12 >
13 > source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf
14
15 No, as stated above, I do not add the overlay to make.conf. That way I
16 avoid all of its packages being added. I don't source the layman
17 make.conf, preferring to add overlays to make.conf only when I want the
18 whole thing.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 "You know how dumb the average person is? Well, statistically, half of
25 them are even dumber than that" - Lewton, P.I.