From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Reiserfs speed (Was: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Size of portage tree)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:42:15
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 >I am using reiserfs but only on trial basis. I've noticed what
4 >appears to be quite a large increase in time needed for fs intensive
5 >things like du or rm -rf as compared to ext3 but I've done no real
6 >comparison testing.
7 >
8 >Have you noticed that too?
12 This is normal, and it's a feature. Reiserfs uses hash values to speed
13 the lookup of single files, and as a result the readdir() system call in
14 reiserfs (which is what find, rm -rf, and du use to walk a directory
15 tree) returns file names in order of their hash value, which probably
16 does not match the order of the files on disk. On the other hand, ext3
17 readdir() returns files in inode order. This means the disk will
18 typically have to do more seeking for these operations on reiserfs than
19 ext3, which returns file names in inode order. Actually, you can see
20 similar performance differences between ext3 filesystems formatted with
21 "-O dir_index" and those without.
22
23 You can 'fix' this by tar'ing, reformatting, and restoring the
24 filesystem, which will have the effect of ordering files on disk
25 according to their hash value.
26
27 Cheers,
28 -Richard