From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Adobe Flash replacement ?
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 19:39:08
1 On Thursday 22 October 2015 18:01:10 James wrote:
2 >Hello,
3 >
4 >I was just reading about "lighspark" [1] and at first glance, it seems
5 >to be a replacement for adobe flash with support for the latest
6 >features. Lightspark can be found with::
7 >'eix -R lightspark'
10 >You may also need to run 'eix-remote update' if you have not updated
11 >that database of extended-availability packages......
12 >So anyone tried lightspark with mozilla browers (seamonkey, ff, etc)?
16 >Granted we all just wish flash would go away and be replaced by something
17 >else that is open source. But, I need to view some flash deliverables
18 >on a routine basis:: so this post is about better support for flash
19 >in browsers. I am really tired of adobe-flash.
22 >[1] http://lightspark.github.io/
23
24 I tried that a good while ago, but at the time I had no luck. However, that
25 was a few years ago.
26
27 Personally, I actually uninstalled adobe-flash almost exactly two weeks and 2
28 hours ago :-) . I haven't really missed it, and youtube-dl (well, mpv's
29 built-in youtube-dl support) helps with the few sites that still don't support
30 HTML5 video. I practically never encounter any other type of flash content.
31 (I consciously decided that I don't care about flash games, so they don't
32 count.)
33
34 One other interesting project in the direction of replacing adobe-flash is
35 Mozilla's Shumway, which is, AIUI, basically a Flash interpreter written in
36 JavaScript. With it, you wouldn't even need a browser plug-in. It is
37 considered an experiment, though. See the following links:
38
39 https://blog.mozilla.org/research/2012/11/12/introducing-the-shumway-open-swf-runtime-project/
40 http://benjamin.smedbergs.us/blog/2012-11-12/shumway-a-swf-interpreter-entirely-in-javascript/
41 http://www.areweflashyet.com/shumway/
42 https://github.com/mozilla/shumway/wiki
45 Marc Joliet
46 --
47 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
48 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup