From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cryptic warning message x11-drivers:ati-drivers-8.32.5 build
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:21:56
1 On Sunday 18 February 2007, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I ran an emerge --sync, and updated --world a few minutes ago. For
3 > the x11-drivers:ati-drivers-8.32.5 build, I found the following
4 > warning message...
5 >
6 > WARN: setup
7 > You have DRM support enabled builtin, the direct rendering will not
8 > work.
9 >
10 > As near as I can tell, this is something like ALSA, where you're
11 > not supposed to enable it in the kernel, but rather in the module.
12 > What exactly am I supposed to do to get DRM to work?
13
14 Rconfigure and recompile the kernel:
15
16 make menuconfig -> Device Drivers -> Character Devices -> Direct
17 Rendering Manager
18
19 make it a module. Or, you can just deselect it as the ati drivers
20 provide their own drm implementation. If you leave the in-kernel
21 version enabled as a module you will have to ensure that the drm module
22 is not loaded when X starts
23
24 This is all documented by ATI in nice html format in an "ati*" directory
25 in /usr/share/doc/
26
27 alan
30 Optimists say the glass is half full,
31 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
32 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
33
34 Alan McKinnon
35 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
36 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list