From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAS: keyboard stops working] Recent kernels block the loading of non-GPL kernel modules
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 01:13:34
1 On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 8:04 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 08/19/2015 07:40 PM, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>> 1. Downloading the kernel source (making a copy of) it.
5 >>> 2. Patching it.
6 >>> 3. Linking it with closed source code.
7 >>> 4. Distributing the result.
8 >>>
9 >>> (If that's not what you have in mind, maybe we are at cross purposes).
10 >>>
11 >>> Step #1 is illegal unless you have a licence. The burden of proof is on
12 >>> you to show that you were allowed to do it.
13 >>
14 >> You have the license, the GPL allows you to do steps 1-3.
15 >
16 > The GPL would, if the authors granted it to you, but they don't.
17 > Selectively quoting...
18 >
19 > 4. You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Program
20 > except as expressly provided under this License...
21
22 Great, then they can copy it under the terms of the license. And
23 they're not redistributing the kernel, or any derived work of the
24 kernel, so the terms about distributing sources don't apply.
25
26 > The authors have been as clear as possible, even imposing a little
27 > technical roadblock to the effect, that they do not grant you the GPL
28 > under the aforementioned circumstances. The GPL faq mentions this,
29 >
30 > https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.en.html#LinkingWithGPL
31 >
32 > so the intent of anyone releasing their code under GPL-2 is clear.
33
34 So, who cares what they think? They don't get to write the law. When
35 Linus says stuff that is smart, I'll admire him for it. When he says
36 stuff that is dumb, I'm not afraid to say that the emperor has no
37 clothes.
40 Rich