From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to instruct emerge to leave certain stuff alone
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:31:03
1 On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 04:39:12 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 > > According to the portage man-page you must include the version of
4 > > the package
5 >
6 > Yes I saw that too, But that wasn't necessary before. So maybe new?
7 > But it also raises another question. The emacs I wanted to keep is an
8 > older version than the newest in portage. So do I enter that version?
9
10 Put the version you have installed in package.provided and
11 ">category/package-version" in /etc/portage/package.mask.
12
13 This will tell portage that you have the version you have installed,
14 but not to try to update to a newer version. If you ever try to install a
15 package that requires a later version of emacs than you have, you'll get
16 an error and can deal with it manually, whereas putting later versions
17 in package.provided means you'll see no error until the dependent
18 package breaks.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 I do not like this dumb machine