From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: cookie_monster
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 15:32:37
1 Walter Dnes <waltdnes <at> waltdnes.org> writes:
4 > emerge sqlite
5
6 Yea, I should have been more clear. Already had sqlite installed
7 and quite a few apps are using it...
10 > If you want a GUI rather than command-line, try
11 > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sqlite-manager/
12
13 I'll have to look at this one. I went ahead and installed:
14 dev-db/sqlitebrowser
17 > You also mentioned "flash cookies" in passing. They're a totally
18 > different animal. They're files that reside in directories ~/.adobe and
19 > ~/.macromedia. The way to kill them is to remove the directories and
20 > create dummy files with the same names, so that Flash can't create the
21 > directories. Here's a short script...
22
23 Only those (2) apps have flash cookies?
24 Flashcookies are new issues for me.
25 What the heck are they being used by these apps?
26 Just to avoid detection and removal?
27
28 If so, it seems somebody would create and add_on to
29 deal with this crap or include this "cleansing" via
30 an establish security script......?
31
32 > #!/bin/bash
33 > rm -rf ~/.adobe
34 > touch ~/.adobe
35 > rm -rf ~/.macromedia
36 > touch ~/.macromedia
37
38 OK, good explanation.
39
40 > The only problem is that certain sites won't play videos without those
41 > directories being present (e.g. video highlights at http://nhl.com ). I
42 > handle them with the following script...
43
44 > #!/bin/bash
45 > rm -rf ~/.adobe
46 > rm -rf ~/.macromedia
47 > sleep 20
48 > rm -rf ~/.adobe
49 > touch ~/.adobe
50 > rm -rf ~/.macromedia
51 > touch ~/.macromedia
52
53 > I launch the script from a terminal, and then immediately click on the
54 > video link in my browser. This gets the videos going, and keeps them
55 > going until they finish.
58 Nice strategy.
59 Thanks!