From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] re: sys-fs/lvm2 question
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 17:13:39
1 On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Alexander Kapshuk
2 <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 08/23/2014 11:22 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >> On 23/08/2014 09:51, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
5 >>> On 08/23/2014 10:31 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
6 >>>> xfce4-power-manager-1.3.0 and older uses UDisks 1.x for controlling disk
7 >>>> spinning, like to reduce it
8 >>>>
9 >>>> xfce4-power-manager-1.3.1 and higher removed UDisks 1.x dependency and
10 >>>> the spindown feature, supposedly it had issues
11 >>>> and doesn't work with SSD anyway... anyways, upstream decision to not
12 >>>> use udisks anymore
13 >>>>
14 >>>> so, i recommend upgrading to 1.3.1, adding it to package.keywords if
15 >>>> required
16 >>>>
17 >>>> thanks,
18 >>>> samuli
19 >>> Thanks for your response.
20 >>>
21 >>> I remember being advised on this list against mixing both stable and
22 >>> unstable packages as much as possible.
23 >>>
24 >>> Does that still hold true? Or would it be OK to pull this one in without
25 >>> braking anything unnecessarily?
26 >>
27 >> I think you have a wrong impression. There is actually not much wrong
28 >> with mixing stable and unstable as long as you do it sensibly.
29 >>
30 >> What you shouldn't do is to wantonly mix packages in @stable and other
31 >> basic libs and still expect it to work. Stable gcc and unstable glibc
32 >> with jpeg, zlib and openssl all mixed and matched any old way is certain
33 >> to show inconsistencies (as you will be the only person who has ever
34 >> tested that combination).
35 >>
36 >> What is being proposed here is that you take one userland package
37 >> (xfce4-power-manager) and upgrade it to the new version. It's highly
38 >> unlikely to break anything and I can tell that just by looking at it's
39 >> purpose and where it fits in the stack. It will either work or not, and
40 >> the list of things that might link to it are a rather small list indeed.
41 >>
42 >> So just give it a spin, you can always revert if it's incompatible with
43 >> everything else you have.
44 >>
45 >> The answer to the last question you pose is correctly "mu" as no-one can
46 >> possibly answer it properly. The best we can do for you is paint the big
47 >> picture and ask you to try then report back if it works, as I have done
48 >> above.
52 > I'll give that whirl. Thanks.
56 I updated the xfce4-power-manger as suggested:
57 equery -q l '*power-manager*'
58 xfce-extra/xfce4-power-manager-1.3.1
59
60 So far, I have not experienced anything abnormal.
61
62 Thanks for the list's help.