From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] filesystems
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:10:01
1 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Montag 24 November 2008, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
3 >
4 >> Am Montag, 24. November 2008 13:49:38 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
5 >>
6 >>> On Montag 24 November 2008, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> Am Montag, 24. November 2008 12:07:34 schrieb Dale:
9 >>>>
10 >>>>> Maybe it will survive. I'm waiting on reiserfs4 to go stable. ;-)
11 >>>>>
12 >>>> Well, with its inventor being imprisoned for the next 15 years or so,
13 >>>> you'll have to be patient. I for one wait for btrfs.
14 >>>>
15 >>> Edward is not imprisioned and doing a fine job. Even in face of such
16 >>> current sabotage attempts as by Morton/Piggin.
17 >>>
18 >> Is he the inventor? AFAIK he's (one of) the last remaining developer(s).
19 >> However, btrfs also seems to be the favourite of many kernel hackers as
20 >> they want to have a ZFS competitor.
24 > he is not - but after the invention is implemented, the inventor is not needed
25 > anymore ;)
26 >
27 > btrfs looks very promising. I hope it will become a good fs. Fast for
28 > everybody, stable, efficient. We will see. Until then I will stay with
29 > r4+compression.
33 It has been a while but I heard some people was working on it. I know
34 about the inventors legal issues but that doesn't mean someone else
35 can't pick up where he left off. I'm currently using reiserfs and love
36 the heck out of it. I'm not real big on ext. I wouldn't use XFS unless
37 it was all that was left. I tried it once a while back and found out it
38 does not like power failures at all. Each time I had a power failure, I
39 had to reinstall from scratch.
40
41 Here's to hoping.
42