From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] convert wmv to mp4?
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 17:37:58
1 On 1 May 2012, at 17:37, Claudio Roberto França Pereira wrote:
2
3 > You almost got it:
4 >
5 > $ eix -c w32
6 > [N] dev-util/w32api (--): Free Win32 runtime and import library definitions
7 > $ eix -c win32
8 > [N] media-libs/ ((~)20071007-r4): Windows 32-bit binary
9 > codecs for video and audio playback support
12 > It's also a use flag for vlc and mplayer (that's for my setup,
13 > probably other players support it too), it will pull the package for
14 > you.
15
16 I believed that upstream mplayer considered the win32codecs USE flag (or the equivalent --whatever build-time flag) to be depreciated.
17
18 AIUI win32codecs, as per the description, uses Microsoft *binary* blobs to do the decoding. If I `emerge -f win32codecs` and look inside the tarball, I see a bunch of .dll files.
19
20 I believe that mplayer will just use its own open-source decoding code in the absence of this package.
21
22 I am certainly able to play back .wmv files here without win32codecs installed. Admittedly, I'm using xbmc to do that, and haven't recently tested using VLC or mplayer, but I would avoid installing that package unless I was sure I needed it.
23
24 Stroller.