From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Choice of graphics card
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 17:44:58
1 On Wednesday 02 March 2016 15:33:27 James wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey <peter <at> prh.myzen.co.uk> writes:
3 > > It's approaching time to invest in a new system, and I'd like the
4 > > panel's views on which make of graphics card to choose: AMD, nVidia or
5 > > Radeon. Does anyone here have an opinion to offer?
6 >
7 > Perhaps you can define some more parameters as to your budget constraints,
8 > power limitations on the main power supply and exactly
9 > what is your target use of the video (gpu+memory) resources?
10
11 Budget seems unlikely to influence choice of graphics card maker. The three I
12 mentioned are all offered by my preferred system builder, Armari. I don't
13 know what you mean about limits to power. You snipped the application area,
14 which as I said is scientific computing using GPUs as well as the CPU.
15
16 > Noise (dB) restrictions? Air or water cooled? hardware (slot)
17 > availability?
18
19 I'm just interested in the comparative performance of the three makes of GPU
20 at this stage. I can fill in the rest of the spec once I know which to go for
21 - unless one make is ruled out by excessively noisy coolers or something.
22
23 Not just the computing power, though: Gentoo support will be important over
24 the life of the system. If the life of this current box is any guide, that
25 could stretch to 10 years. Well, maybe.
26
27 > New mobo or an upgrade to an existing mobo?
28
29 It'll be a new system, as I said.
30
31 > Dual windows booting for windows gaming? etc etc.....
32
33 I'm not interested in Windows or gaming. Certainly not the kind of rapid-fire
34 games that spotty youths seem to go for.
37 Rgds
38 Peter