From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Protecting my server against an individual
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 00:03:37
1 Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > It has come to my attention that a particular person I know may be
5 > intent on attacking my server/website in any way possible. He doesn't
6 > know much about Linux but does know Windows. What kind of things
7 > should I lock down to protect my remote hosted server? I don't have
8 > time to get too crazy with security right now, but what kinds of
9 > simple tricks might this fellow learn by asking around on forums, etc?
12 Hello Grant,
13
14 I assuming your server is a web host and it only is using port 80 (http) traffic.
15
16 If so you can follow this iptables-newbie site and set up pretty good security
17 just on that server:
18
19 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Iptables_for_newbies#QuickStart
20
21 Others will suggest using one of the ebuilds found in /usr/portage/net-firewall
22
23 such as 'fwbuilder' or shorewall.
24
25 hth,