From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gtypist does not accept ru.typ
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2016 11:28:38
1 > On Wed, 6 January 2016, at 8:58 p.m., gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > ...
3 >> If you run `sudo ebuild /usr/portage/app-misc/gtypist/gtypist-2.9.5.ebuild unpack`
4 >> you should be able to find the file with that line.
5 >
6 > I did it, and the ebuild has been unpacked to
7 > /var/tmp/portage/app-misc/gtypist-2.9.5/work
8 >
9 >> The "/*" and "*/" make that line into a comment, so "uncomment" it [3] by removing them. Save the file.
10 >
11 > Did it in the file
12 > /var/tmp/portage/app-misc/gtypist-2.9.5/work/gtypist-2.9.5/src/gtypist.c.
13 >
14 >> Now you should be able to run `sudo ebuild /usr/portage/app-misc/gtypist/gtypist-2.9.5.ebuild install`
15 >> to install gtypist with the modified code.
16 >
17 > Did it as well, though without understanding why this command should
18 > take into account the changes I had done in the file
19 > /var/tmp/portage/app-misc/gtypist-2.9.5/work/gtypist-2.9.5/src/gtypist.c
20
21 To address where you say "without understanding" - when you emerge a package, Portage downloads a tarball of the program's source code, unpacks the source into a temporary working directory (/var/tmp/portage/...) and, assuming the program is written in a compiled language like C or C++, runs `make` [1] before compiling it and copying the compiled executable(s) into the right place on the live filesystem.
22
23 Using `ebuild /path/to/some.ebuild command` breaks down this process into stages. So you have unpacked it (with `ebuild unpack`), modified the source code and then told emerge to continue the compilation process.
24
25 > There was nothing in the output from the uncommented line (/encoding
26 > finds nothing).
27
28 In fact, I have just checked `man ebuild` and you need to run `sudo ebuild /usr/portage/app-misc/gtypist/gtypist-2.9.5.ebuild merge` to complete the emerge process (by merging the changed package into the live filesystem). I apologise - that is the command I should have told you to finish with in the first place.
29
30 > Any further help would be appreciated.
31
32 The folks on the gtypist list will probably be those best place to help you with why it's having problems with the ru.typ
33
34 Hopefully you will now be able to recompile gtypist as per their instructions and resume your discussion there.
35
36 Stroller.
40 [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_(software)