From: daniel <danstemporaryaccount@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] opinions & know-how requested: how to create a mail cluster
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 23:22:28
1 On August 5, 2005 06:31 pm, A. Khattri wrote:
2 > On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, daniel wrote:
3 > > So at the moment, my main issues are:
4 > >
5 > > - How do I replicate the user list from the master to the satellites?
6 > > - What MTA should I use on the satellites and how would I configure it?
7 > >
8 > > I don't even know if "cluster" is the right word since whenever I google
9 > > for it, i run into references to LVS and Beowulf clustering which is not
10 > > what I need.
11 >
12 > Im sure you'll get answers for all the MTA's so maybe the best thing is
13 > just to describe what we do.
14 >
15 > I work for an ISP, and we have mail servers supporting several thousand
16 > users. For this setup we are using qmail + vpopmail + MySQL. We looked at
17 > LDAP too and concluded it was an ugly beast ;-) Our vpopmail account
18 > details all live in MySQL - separate read and write database servers help
19 > spread the load (we replicate between servers). vpopmail uses maildirs by
20 > default - this means we can NFS mount delivery folders across machines
21 > without worrying about file-locking, etc. This also means you can spread
22 > POP3/IMAP traffic across several machines if you want.
23 >
24 > We also have three servers dedicated to spam and virus filtering - those
25 > run daemonized spamd and clamav (we are using a local DNS zone to
26 > round-robin spamd connections so the load is again spread across all three
27 > filtering servers).
28 >
29 > We are also using squirrelmail and qmailadmin to provide a web mail
30 > interface and a web postmaster interface for domain accounts.
31
32 very cool.
33 how many servers are you using for this? do you have a rough ratio for
34 users:servers?
38 every day you sit behind your desk and you learn a little more how to accept
39 the world the way it is. well, here's the rub... heroes don't do that.
40 heroes don't accept the world the way it is. they fight it.
41 - lindsay, angel
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list